IV22 VFD Display

Discuss your project Ideas, or help others with their projects here.
BobaMosfet

IV22 VFD Display

Postby BobaMosfet » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:17 pm

I see people buying IV22 VFD displays on Amazon for $40+, for arduino and so forth-- but why not make one for less? So I did. This design uses significantly less power, digits will fit side-by-side closer together, and can be plugged into a breadboard for experimentation (or 9-pin header on a motherboard). I also chose a different darlington array, which I believe is safer, and it's designed to use the minimum necessary power for signaling/control.

BM

Rick_S

Re: IV22 Display

Postby Rick_S » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:26 pm

Very nice looking project. How much did it set you back?? You said the ebay ones were about $40, I'm assuming you had a batch of boards made up so the up front for the first one was probably pricey. For the set of 6 you were planning on building are they half price??? Less. VFD's and Nixies are both pretty neat and I really like your compact design. Almost makes them fit up like 7 segment LED displays. I can't wait to see your finished project.

BobaMosfet

Re: IV22 Display

Postby BobaMosfet » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:23 pm

Rick,

Thanks. I know I don't post often, intend to post more. Just so busy with work and other stuff, that I don't get as much time to do this as I'd like. The PCBs were the most expensive part-- no surprise there. Each one is $5.08, so $10.16 for each display (just the 2 PCBs). As it is, I put several on one FR4 and then cut them to the 1"x1.6" size. Each display in limited quantity right now is < $15 each to make. In higher volume the PCB cost will drop dramatically. I refuse to pay $40 for a single VFD, when I can design and make my own for less, that consumes less power.

Yes, one of the reasons I wanted them not much wider than the display itself was so they would sit nicely side-by-side. When I get it completed, I'll post some images. I may post a video before then, with more than one, showing the displays in action-- they are really cool. I couldn't justify the expense of true nixies in quantity-- just too expensive, so I went for these (which are circa-1967), and I'm happy with them. I can generate a nice orange glow around them to give them the warm-tube look ;)

BM

BobaMosfet

Re: IV22 VFD Display

Postby BobaMosfet » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:40 am

Just a small update. It now runs off of a 9V wallwart, has a boost regulator circuit to support the different voltage level required by portions of the display, an RTC, and of course more than one IV-22 display ;)

All in all, a very satisfying project.

Rick_S

Postby Rick_S » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:53 pm

That’s sharp!! The rub led is a nice touch. Great job.

BobaMosfet

Postby BobaMosfet » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:37 am

Rick,

Thanks. Each one has an RGB LED, so color control is based on duty-cycle for each in combination. Colors are even better in person. ;)

BM

Rick_S

Postby Rick_S » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:00 pm

I just noticed the autocorrect changed rgb in my prior post to rub... LOL

Return to “Projects”