Setting up work station

Discuss interfacing external devices with a microcontroller.
Terry

Setting up work station

Postby Terry » Mon May 22, 2017 5:05 pm

Is anyone partial to a certain breadboard. I was at Fry's electronics and almost bought the Elenco 9440C breadboard but I held off due to the possibility of there being something wiser.

Elenco 9440C Breadboard, 3220 test points, 8.25" x 9.5"

Terry

Rick_S

Re: Setting up work station

Postby Rick_S » Tue May 23, 2017 5:30 am

I've had some bad luck with the solderless breadboards that are all white, without the blue/red power rails. The boards that look like the ones provided in a NerdKit all seem to work pretty well. I've purchased them from several locations including ebay. Looking at that item, I would probably trust it. Hows Fry's return policy if you find it isn't what you expected? If it's good, you could always take it back if it wasn't what you thought it should be quality wise.

Rick

Terry

Postby Terry » Tue May 23, 2017 11:33 pm

So I went back to the store and purchased the breadboard, an assortment of jumper wires and a IC extractor. I didn't ask about the return policy but I think it's the basic 30 day blah blah blah policy. Anyway, brought it home and assembled the breadboard. The item seems satisfactory, but not cheap for what you appear to get.

On a side note, I stopped off at a place called Harbor Freight Tools and picked up a Helping Hands w/LED tool. For 9.00 dollars I was expecting something that would end up in the trash almost immediately . But after unboxing, wow this a good value.

Anyway, I can't find my camera, so here's a pick from their website:

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (24.27 KiB) Viewed 925 times

Anyway, just thought I'd share a fairly good tool alert.

Now I need to build a project.

Thanks,
Terry

Rick_S

Postby Rick_S » Wed May 24, 2017 4:09 am

I've never seen a helping hands with that tall of a vertical bar. Nice big magnifier on top as well. I may have to swing by my local harbor freight and grab one of those as well. Thanks for the tip.

Ralphxyz

Postby Ralphxyz » Fri May 26, 2017 7:33 pm

That looks good. I have been looking at various homemade third hands and have one working in the back of my mind.

How are the alligator clips? That is usually one of the major shortcomings of most commercial third hands.

Ralph

Terry

Postby Terry » Fri May 26, 2017 11:27 pm

In my opinion the alligator clips are acceptable for hobby, to even general use. Don't expect super Pico quality or something as flimsy as Dollar Store clips. I'm sure we've all seen what's offered at the Dollar Store :roll: . I find the reviews on Harbor Freight to be accurate.

Terry

Ralphxyz

Postby Ralphxyz » Sat May 27, 2017 4:35 pm

What I meant was the alligator clip holders, All of the third hands I have had would hold a project, and the clips, two or three times
and then would no longer hold the clips. The clips themselves were fine but the holding apparatus sucked.

Ralph

Terry

Postby Terry » Sat May 27, 2017 7:40 pm

I'll post how well they hold up.

I'm currently working on a small speaker that is unusually warm when turned off. This speaker also make a loud pop and crackle whenever someone turns on something that is on the same circuit. I suspect a failing capacitor.

Anyways, I'll post a picture of its innards and start a new thread.

I might get a chance to actually use the holder :o .

Terry

Postby Terry » Sat May 27, 2017 11:11 pm

I feel like a surgeon who has to walk into a waiting room and give people bad news.

The speaker I took apart did not make it.

I was going over its board, wires and components to give an educated guess/comment, when suddenly one of the wires leading to the transformer snapped off at the windings. Yes, I could order a new transformer but these computer speakers were bought at a discount housewares store (ROSS). The reason I put effort into repairing the abnormal heat condition, when off, was that I had made brackets for these particular speakers and attached them to a T.V. viewing chair at ear level.

I feel it might be optimum to invest in some quality name-brand speakers, instead of going back to ROSS and finding something similar or taking the time to repair (running way warm when off and now transformer) both issues.

Let me know what you think.

Terry

Rick_S

Postby Rick_S » Wed May 31, 2017 4:09 am

I guess it really depends on the quality of sound you are looking to get from the speaker. If sound quality isn't an issue than cheapie from Ross or Wal-Mart would likely work fine.

Return to “External Components”