Arduino Mini pro Programing

Discussions of installing a Bootloader on your microcontroller
Darryl D

Arduino Mini pro Programing

Postby Darryl D » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:56 pm

I have used a number of Arduino mini pro's for projects in the past with no problems programing the chip. Since I have not done anything with this approach for a few months I seam to have totally lost the ability to upload to the mini. As I recall, I was using the WinAVR tool on the Programmers Notepad to compile and upload project code to the chip. I am using a FTDI type adapter on a USB port from the PC. I may be simply forgetting a important step or drivers are not correct but I can not determine where my problem is.

When I attempt to upload the program to the mini I am getting the message posted below. I think this should be a simple issue as I was programing these mini's before. I may be confusing some detail with uploading to a chip using a USB-ASP and khazama AVR programmer as I have done more of that lately.

Does anyone have any suggestions or observations as what I am neglecting to do?

> "make.exe" all
avrdude -c avr109 -p m328p -b 115200 -P com3 -U flash:w:initialload.hex:a

Connecting to programmer: .
Found programmer: Id = "Sü"; type = |
Software Version = NUL.NUL ; Hardware Version = NUL.u
avrdude: error: buffered memory access not supported. Maybe it isn't
a butterfly/AVR109 but a AVR910 device?
make.exe: *** [initialload-upload] Error 1

> Process Exit Code: 2
> Time Taken: 00:04

Rick_S

Re: Arduino Mini pro Programing

Postby Rick_S » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:17 am

Ahh the classic butterfly error. That error is usually a result of bad communications between the PC and the microcontroller. Things to check:

1) Make sure the com port in your MAKEFILE matches that of your USB/Serial adapter (Find your serial adapter com port in device manager in a Windows system)
2) Make sure your serial adapter is connected properly to your microcontroller. (TX to RX and RX to TX) GND to GND and if powering the mini pro, VCC to VCC. For the Arduino, you also need to connect one other wire - Usually DTR to the DTR pin. This pin is what auto-resets the arduino to accept the code.
3) Make sure your MAKEFILE is configured for an arduino at the proper baud. If this pro mini has a recent bootloader, then your baud rate would be 115200 and the avr109 should be replaced with arduino. That lets avrdude know which bootloader is installed. avr109 is for a bootloader like that in the nerdkit.

Hopefully that will get you going. When using a bootloader, I much prefer using an arduino bootloader over the NK one because it frees up a pin and there is no switch to throw. Programming becomes simple and automatic.

Let me know if you have any other problems. If you do, maybe a couple photo's of your setup could help.

Rick

Darryl D

Postby Darryl D » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:52 pm

Rick.

I got a bit frustrated and did not feel like tracking down the problem so I just connected a USB-ASP and programed the Mini that way. I may take some time later and attempt to work out the issue I was having, but for now all is going well using the USB-ASP to upload to the mini pro

Thanks Darryl

Rick_S

Postby Rick_S » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:54 am

Sorry I didn't reply sooner. I usually check the forums when I get up and reply then. Glad you got it up and running.

I often use the ISP programming method for stand alone micro's, but for arduino boards I tend to leave the bootloader installed. It just helps me keep things straight, because a year down the road, I might pull the board for another project and if the bootloader had been overwritten I might waste a bunch of time trying to figure out why I couldn't transfer code to it.

What kind of project are you working on?

By the way, thank you for bringing your question here. I may not be the quickest to respond, but I'll usually get back within a day and will do my best to help out where I can.

Rick

Darryl D

Postby Darryl D » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:01 pm

No problem I was not at all frustrated with you or the response time on this web forum, I sometimes get a bit frustrated with my personal lack of retention of things that I have done in the past. It is partly a result of my attention being divided in a number of different directions most of the time, but I often feel almost like I am starting over when I get back to something I have not looked at for some time.

I have started again to work on the project that I had posted some details about involving a modification to a piece of farm equipment involving load cells and a electro magnetic latch. We are still just attempting to develop a prototype system to evaluate how this idea might actually work under field conditions. We have managed to eliminate a couple of ideas that did not work as well as intended. The general design and ideas for possible enhancements is continuing to evolve and the electronic aspect of the project could get much more complicated if we can get the mechanical design working as we hope it could. This is basically sons project, he has applied for a patent on the idea. I don't think I should go into much detail at all at this time. I am just helping with a simple version of a monitoring and control system to help evaluate and operate the project in the field. A final working system would ideally interface with the CAN buss on the tractor and be integrated with the GPS guidance and automated steering systems used on a lot agricultural equipment today. That would be way above my head, if we ever get the idea working someone else will be doing the electronics at that point. I am struggling at times to design and build a much simpler manual control and monitoring system. Our hope is to produce a working prototype to demonstrate a proof of concept for the general idea. and then explore options from there.

Your point about overwriting the boot loader and then latter attempting to program the Mini is vary valid, that could actually be the problem with the mini I was attempting to program. I only have a couple spare Mini's on hand and I have made no attempt to keep track of what I have done with them to date. It is possible I did overwrite the boat loader using ISP on at least one of them in the past. As obvious as that concern is, I never even thought of that until you pointed it out.

Thanks again
Darryl

Return to “Bootloaders”